The town of Albany has seen many “undertaking establishments” in its history. One of which was the Garland & Sons Mortuary that was located on the corner of Water & Cedar Streets in a house that still stands today. It was in 1944 that Ridgeville native Edison M. Rust purchased the Garland business.
Not long after the purchase Mr. Rust relocated to our current location operating under the name of Rust Funeral Home. He and his wife Mildred, both licensed funeral directors, operated the funeral home and 24 hour ambulance service in addition to answering the emergency fire phone. It was also their residence; together they raised two daughters there, Marilyn & Judy.
Health concerns contributed to the sale of the business in 1975 to Muncie funeral home owner E. Kenneth Parson II. The name was changed to Parson-Rust Funeral Home and was operated as a branch location for several years. During 1996, the funeral home was razed, giving way to a brand new contemporary building designed specifically for serving families in their time of need. In August of 2001, the business was sold to longtime employee and funeral director Chad Anthony Meacham who re-named the business “Meacham Funeral Service” in 2006.
Garland & Sons Mortuary circa. 1930
Rust Funeral Home, later known as Parson-Rust Funeral Home